Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Unit 3 Exploration 1 - Rick

Top Questions:

Will learning a lost art help me understand how medieval peoples lived? Will it help me have a better understanding of my own history?

Just how do I go about learning how to make armor?

Is doing this sort of thing for a living really practical?

I have to admit I'm having a bit of a time coming up with an argument here. It's not exactly my favorite topic, but I'm leaning heavily in the direction of whether or not the blacksmithing skill is really useful in todays society, or can most things that can be made by a smith at a forge be created by machines these days?

Any thoughts about this? To be honest I really enjoy working with my hands and creating something that is artful or useful and practical. The problem with this is that most things that used to be created by hand can now be made on assembly line by machines. This pushes the handmade objects more into the realm of curios and artwork than anything useful. So...if it's not practical to make it by hand anymore, what drives a person to do it?

Just as a side note, I've already been in touch with some of my armoring friends and will probably start learning the craft once I move back east this summer. I'd really like to write something more about the specifics of working with metal but I can't think of a way to make it an argument.

1 comment:

  1. A good Argument might be the loss of personal craftmanship with metalwork today.

    ReplyDelete